Monday 19 May 2008

Water - work in progress - Part 4

Yes!!! Ok!!! so it's becoming a bit of an epic :-) I am now on part 4 and it still isn't 100% finished!!! :-) having said that, I am thoroughly enjoying this!!!!

I've been sick since Friday... my son gave me whatever he brought home this week :-) I think it's the flu... or a really bad cold... not that I know the difference... in fact I don't even know if there is a difference :-) anyway.... so the last couple of days, even though I still felt like utter and total crap, I took my "water " piece to my room and spent the days in bed advancing with it... First of all I have to mention that this will not be going for sale... it is mine!!! all mine!!! :-) I just love it too much!! That and the fact that I have a terrible bag fetish which I have not been able to fulfil in the last couple of years, I ave decided that I'm keeping this one! I really, really love it + I'm so proud of myself for making a suede bag!!! I honestly didn't think my sewing machine would sustain the extra thickness... but it did!!!

Here's the body of the bag:

bag 6

I made the outside with the suede from an old suede shirt I've had hanging in my cupboard for at least 9 years.... (I'm so glad I don't like throwing things out!!!!) I think I only bought it because I loved the suede and the richness of the colour... and it was relatively cheap... and now it's been turned into what will probably become my favourite bag of all times!!!! apart from my Fendi baguette that was stolen from my house by a house-guest years ago (but that is a whole other story, and am still hoping one day it will come back to me with the jewellery and watch that was also taken - so if you are reading... :-) and I do know who you are, no hard feelings, just please give me my stuff back!!! ... as I said a whole other story :-D) So, I was saying.... I used the old suede shirt for the body of the bag and for the lining I used one of those lovely designer sample fabrics that my neighbour gave me last week.... I think it may be silk, but am not sure...

bag 8

For the flap I chose one of the heavier sample fabrics and then cut a square of suede of the same size. I then glued and stitched the bead embroidered piece onto the fabric, did some more embroidery, glued the fabric to the suede and beaded all around the joint pieces. And here is what came out :-)



I'm so over the moon with the result... and I'm definitely keeping this one for me :-)

I still have to make a strap for it, although I actually don't think it needs it, but for practical reasons, walking around holding one 3 1/2 year-old in one hand and the dog leash in the other, it makes sense to put a strap :-)

I sort of have an idea in mind involving an old silk turquoise sarong... and some beaded beads... lets see if it come out like I envision it... in the meantime, here is the back view of the bag:

bag 10







obviously not finished :-)



Did I say how pleased and proud of it I am??? :-) amazing what one can do with an old shirt, some scraps and a few beads!!! ;-)

Come back soon and check out the finished piece :-)

10 comments:

  1. I love this bag Triz... as per usual a great design and a wonderful color combo... you have a particular eye to put together shapes and colors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it and I love the color combo also. I can't wait to see it finished, it's so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one gorgeous bag, Triz! You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always thought you are talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome already and I can't wait to see the finished product - you are amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I love the two different fabric texture and the embroidery piece fir in so well. Great as usuall!!!

    Smadar

    ReplyDelete
  7. Triz, this bag is amazing. That rich suede just makes me want to reach out and stroke it. I cannot wait to see how you finish the strap - I just know it will be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you do very beautiful work :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely bag...and your bead work is stunning...such a talent you have...
    I have a think about bags as well...can't have enough really!!!

    Feel better soon!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh! That is the most beautiful bag I've ever seen! It makes me want to free my sewing machine from its original box and actually try to sew something!

    ReplyDelete