Friday 11 April 2008

Water - work in progress - Part 2

It was all smooth sailing... I was really enjoying the progression and the way the design was developing.... but then.... I realised, after having beaded around the whole motif, that I placed one of the large beads in the wrong place!!!!! probably less than 1 cm, but that one cm makes all the difference to the rest of the pattern working. So after a LOT of hmming and phuuffing, and trying really hard not to cry :-) I realised that I had 2 choices... scrap the whole thing and start afresh, or cut the offending bead and its surrounding, re-stitch it in the right place and strengthen all the beads around the area to make sure that none would fall out. # 2 shows the problem and the arrow points to where it should have been. # 3 shows the newly placed corrected bead, the red dot marks where it was.

1. 2. 3.
I have to say, the thought of giving up came across my mind at least every five minutes... I wasn't sure how to carry on, what colour, what bead, what stitch, what pattern. I kept on taking breaks, I kept on looking through all my bead books for inspiration, still nothing!.... the only thing I was 100 % sure about was that I really liked the colour, so I decided to carry on with the turquoise seed beads, but I wanted to give it a lot of texture to contrast the bugles and the other lines, so I tried a new method (see # 5) and I individually stitched each bead, rather than in rows, I stitched them in all directions filling in the spaces as I went along. I'm very glad I did this I think it works really well.

4. 5. 6.
Now comes the hard part.... I'm really, REALLY stuck!!!!! The piece outgrew my original plan, up to now it measures c. 4" x 4", so now am not sure what to do with it!!! should I make it bigger, should I fringe it, should i scrap it? I honestly don't know... for now I'm leaving it and carrying on with other small projects, but I do want to finish it!!! I love how it looks! I just don't know what to do with it!!! arghhhh!!! :-)
Come back soon to see how it all ends :-) and if you missed part 1, here is the link: Water - work in progress - Part 1


And in case you haven't yet you can still go and vote for this month's EtsyBeadweavers' Fire and Flowers challenge. Go vote for your favourite!
http://www.etsy-beadweavers.blogspot.com/

11 comments:

  1. I LOVE it! and I love that you have photos of the progress.You are definately a master to learn from.Beautiful work :)dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the colours. How long do you think you have worked on this so far?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Dawn... am still stuck :-) and Lone Beader... I think so far I probably did about 8 or 9 hours including prep, pulling my hair out, fixing, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colors. I also like how you show us the progress of your pieces. You Rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you Staci! I'm still so stuck, but have started and almost finished another, will post progress of new piece in the next few days, and hopefully finish this one :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. But I still love it, you must just having some bead ideas block?

    hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just in love with this design and the colors (no surprise there!). Have you considered making it the focal point applique for a leather purse or the cover of a large journal? Either one of those could support its size easily. Whatever you decide, I know it will be spectacular in the end. That's just a given. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Laarni and Csrol Dean!! Great mind think alike Carol Dean, I have thought about making into a bag, which is what I really would love to do, but am lacking knowledge on the making the bag part :-) still thinking... but thank you for the wonderfull suggestions :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please don't scrap it. It is really gorgeous.

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Triz, this is so beautiful! I am so glad that you did not let the "offending" focal bead win the battle. Walking away and coming back (sometimes after a good cry!) is what drives us to do our best. I cannot wait to see how you finish this. Ciao! linda

    ReplyDelete